Monday, June 15, 2015

Friends are the Family You Choose


"Friends are the family you choose." - Jess C. Scott
 

These are my girls, Monica and Bridgette.   I thank you for being my friends, for always being there and for showing up when I need you. It's been said that 80% of success is showing up. I think this is true of friendship, as well.

I've been mulling over, about what and how to write about my love for them. After many failed attempts, I realized my words would never be enough because our friendship has not been defined by words, but by actions.

When I moved to Virginia from California in 2009 I had such a sense of loneliness that I could not describe.  I had felt it for the past 7 years and just thought that it was part of life.  Upon rekindling my friendship with Monica and building my friendship with Bridgette I realized that the hole could be filled.  Just saying their names makes me smile.  I’m happy to not only call you friends but sisters.

Sometimes I feel like being my friend must be a lot of work. I’m loud, talkative, and just a bit crazy.  But you both love and accept me for those traits. I love you both very much and I hope and pray that I've been as good a friend to each of you, as you've both been to me.   Here are 35 reasons for my 35 years on this planet on how I am thankful for both of you:
1.      Thank you for always being my best supporters.
2
.      Thank you for not judging me for my sometimes poor decision-making skills.
3.      Thank you for late-night conversations.
4.      Thank you for remembering every inside joke we have ever created.
5.      Thank you for the long drives you have taken just to spend time with me.
6.      Thank you for being brutally honest with me when I am being ridiculous.
7.      Thank you for respecting my values and opinions, even if you disagree.
8.      Thank you for loving my family like you love your own.
9.      Thank you for bringing me into your family, for you both know it means the world to me.
10.  Thank you for pouring large glasses of wine/vodka.
11.  Thank you for being brave enough to let me in and be vulnerable to me.
12.  Thank you for fighting all of life's battles by my side.
13.  Thank you for celebrating all of the exciting moments of my life with me. I can't imagine not having either of you by my side.
14.  Thank you for filling that hole in my heart that seemed impossible to fill.
15.  Thank you for forgiving me for every time I haven't been the best friend in the entire world.
16.  Thank you for all that you've taught me.
17.  Thank you for always making me feel like the crazy stories of my day are important.
18.  Thank you for making me feel beautiful, smart and funny through thick and thin.
19.  Thank you for every gushy text you send me to encourage me when life is really crappy.
20.  Thank you for every dorky, sentimental holiday and birthday gift or handmade card you knew I would absolutely love.
21.  Thank you for the moments of silence we share together, where words don't need to be said, but we know we are in it together.
22.  Thank you for being the best wing-women a girl could ever ask for.
23. Monica thank you for being my road dog and Bridgette thanks for cheering us on.
24.  Thank you for always being ready to bust out the dance moves with me.
25.  Thank you for defending me when I continue to lay out the door mat.
26.  Thank you for reminding me to stay true to myself.
27.  Thank you for continuing to be true to yourself as well, because I think you both rock.
28.  Thank you for listening to my long stories as though you haven't already heard them a million times.
29.  Thank you for always making time for me, no matter how far away you are.
30.  Thank you for being strong when I am weak.
31.  Thank you for making the good times better and the hard times easier.
32.  Thank you for all of the wonderful memories and to the lifetime of memories to come.
33.  Thank you for believing in me when I don’t believe in myself.
34.  Thank you for your sharing your secrets with me.
35.  Thank you for sharing your life with me for without you two my life would be a whole lot emptier.

Marlo Thomas and Gloria Steinem met in 1967 when an agent pitched the idea of Marlo playing Gloria in a TV-movie. The movie never happened (and the agent turned out to be quite offensive), but the two activists have remained friends ever since. Says Marlo about Steinem, “We have been confidantes,"I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment